Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Where I am now...


Dear Friend,
     Whether you are a new mommy, seasoned mother, soon to be, etc. I want to welcome you, and make a confession. I must admit that if you had known me at any juncture in my life (prior to April 2010) and told me I would one day put “mothering” in front of having a career I would laugh at you. I was very business  (let’s be honest, Me) oriented for as long as I can remember. There were always extravagantly detailed plans in my head for how my life would be. The apartment I would be living in with friends, the amazing job I would have, and the traveling I would do!
        Then in 2010 I found out I was going to be a mommy. I was excited and nervous all at the same time. I knew I could handle being a working mom, and was quite excited to lavish love upon a little one. As my due-date neared, and we visited multiple child care options, the numbers just weren’t adding up. If I continued to work about half of my pay would be going to day-care. I would be working full time, and bringing home about a part-time pay. So we decided to search out alternative options…actually one presented itself to me without much searching…In short I became a Nanny to a wonderful family.
             They had 2 young girls, only needed me part time, and would allow me to bring my new baby with me. We went over the numbers and realized that this option made the most financial sense. For a long time I insisted that I would only continue in this endeavor for as long as it “made sense” to us, with the full expectation of returning to work in the future. This is just something I “must do.” My Career needs to be placed on hold until the future…
          Recently I can feel that my heart, and head have changed modes. Whereas before I felt this was the “right thing” to do, or my “only choice” I now see it as a wonderful gift. I have been given the gift of time; spending each day with my daughter. Don’t get me wrong I still have dreams, and plans for the future…I just choose to enjoy the Gift that is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment